Tuesday 5 June 2012

Siblings Together quilts.

I am not the worlds fastest quilter, I can be slapdash but I love to make things,  Especially quilts. I have a drawer full of tops, all of which I love.

Then along came Lynn of Lily's Quilts and Fat Quarterly fame seeking quilts and quilters to make quilts for a charity called Siblings Together based in London who among other things run camps for siblings separated  while in the social care and foster system to enable them to re-establish bonds and spend time together.

I know a lot of people who have gone through the social care system through no fault of their own and often been housed apart from brothers and sisters. It can be a traumatic experience for everyone but most of all for the children themselves.  So this for me is a very necessary project.

I had already made one top that I immediately volunteered.  I'd made this one, just as a quick top from a pile of fabric that my fabric fairies sent to me in February. A mix of Anna Maria Horner, Dear Stella, Bari J, Art Gallery, Amy Butler, Echino and even a smidge of Lizzie House, it is a really teenage girly quilt.




Then a parcel arrived from America from Thomas Knauer (love him dearly) containing a FQB each of Pear Tree and Flock, his first two collections for Andover.

Flock yelled at me for a gender neutral quilt and with a combination of pinwheels and simple HST's, this quilt arrived.  I had to cull out the pinks as that would have sent any small boy running for the hills.  Two of the FQ's with judicious cutting made it into the final quilt!

I'm still petting the Pear Tree bundle - it is just so gorgeous.  Simple, elegant and understated.  Lovely designs in all of the collections and he is simply a lovely man.

I also applied for some more fabric as I'm a little short on it at the  moment.  Katy from Monkey Do sent me down a pile of Swoon by Melissa Averinos for Andover and an FQB of Meet me at Sunset by Dear Stella.  MMaS is still being petted and awaiting solids before it gets transformed.  I'd already done a quilt with Swoon and luckily the bulk of what was sent was the same teal colour as my leftovers. I pulled the pinks out and teamed the teal with Klona Candy Blue for an extravaganza of Flying Geese. Unfortunately, I've run out of blue solid and can't get anymore for a couple more weeks!

I think I've got enough wadding but I am frantically trying to find a source of inexpensive backing that I can afford from my ESA allowance. Then I have to simply label them, quilt and post off ready to be united with a child at camp next month.

I'm off to work out what to make with 7.5 yards of Tula Pink Prince Charming......

1 comment: